Tuesday 31 December 2013

Our first appointment...

We had our letter through in October. After filling in countless forms and signing our life away, we took ourselves to our clinic to meet our consultant. Saying that fills me with so many different emotions. OUR CONSULTANT. After 3 years, we were finally going somewhere. 

The letter told us to expect blood tests and internal scans. We got prepared. Well 'I' got prepared. You can't just turn up for an internal scan without preparing. 

So we arrived and handed in our paperwork. We sat, we waited, and waited some more. We were called in and did the usual greeting thing with the consultant. Explained our situation, while the Dr. jotted down notes. He then took the husband into a separate room to have an examination. They were back moments later. It was a funny sort of atmosphere. A untold mutual agreement that after such examination they were to be completely silent. Awkward! 

Anyway, Dr. explained that husbands testicles were small-medium in size. That he could feel no blockage. He drew some diagrams of my husbands manly area. He wanted to do some blood tests to rule out certain problems. 

Test for chromosome disorders
Test for Cystic Fibrosis
Test Hormone levels

He explained the FSH levels. We already knew that his FSH levels were elevated, but couldn't remember at the time what they were. Dr. explained that the normal levels are around 4. Anything over 12 is a cause for concern, but high probability that sperm could be extracted. 25+ was bad. He explained that anything over 25, and there is not much point in trying to find any sperm to extract. 

So, he arranged for the bloods, and referred me to the gynaecologist. I am still waiting to hear. Yes, that's right. No internal as yet. I was a little disappointed. I think I believed we would go to our appointment and come away nearly pregnant. Clearly not! 

So bloods were done. Almost painless. Although the drama he made when taking the plaster off would tell you otherwise! 

We were told that the chromosome tests take some time to come back. We were given our next appointment. April. Yes, that's right. APRIL. I have to keep myself busy until then. That's one way to wish the year away! 

On returning home, I dug out the letter from the Urologist. In April 2013, his FSH levels were 27. I believe these levels do not fluctuate. Therefore, the probability is, that we need to wait until April to be told we are doomed! But hey ho. 

Luckily, we were aware earlier this year that the chances of my hubby being able to conceive were extremely slim, and we have decided mutually that we will continue using a donor. I am aware that we may still be waiting this time next year. But I will remain positive and hope that I will have problems writing my New Year post next year because my bump will be in the way of my laptop... 

Husband, I need an IPad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you very much for your comment :)